Seagull

7"X5" Acrylic on board


Herring Gulls are ubiquitous. This one is quite young, he still has some of his juvenile spots in evidence on his neck and head.

I grew up by the sea and got used to seeing them everywhere, they are sea-gulls after all. The Herring Gulls were only one of several species one would see on Worthing beach. There were Black-headed Gulls and Great and Lesser Black-backed Gulls, as well as terns, divers, sandpipers and plovers. It was only when I found myself in the centre of this vast continent that I realized just how far the Herring Gulls disperse. Anywhere around the Great Lakes they are almost as common as they are by the ocean. I am not sure how far away from the Lakes they can be found. I don't think I have ever seen any in the desert, but I am willing to be corrected.



Posted by Picasa

Comments

  1. Lovely painting. With their stance, they almost look like they are posing. (When they aren't bickering and fighting.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts