Artisan Market

8"X5" Pen on paper



Day 2 at the artisan market was no better than day 1 for me. It was a learning experience and if I ever do anything like that again I will be sure to take some more inexpensive items, get some greeting cards printed perhaps. There was some interest in my local scenes, but not enough to encourage anyone to reach into their wallets.

Having spent most of the morning yesterday doing quick sketches of my fellow vendors (more to come) I decided in the afternoon to paint the stall across from me. They weren't selling any more than I was so I thought it would be a good bet that it would remain unchanged for a while. When I was about half way through the owner decided that the reason they weren't selling anything was because of the poor display and she completely rearranged the whole thing!

Posted by Picasa

Comments

  1. I have found from past experience that visual art doesn't do well at craft shows. People are looking for that 10 to 15 dollar cash and carry item. Printing cards is a good idea for sure. In my former life, I spent several years at the One of A Kind show in Toronto selling small realistic paintings on stone (hard to describe, but there were many cats) I could have sold a bazillion of them. I soon tired of the monotony of the work, and realized I had to get back to Oils and canvas. I considered going back and doing the "Art row" where all the visual artists show their work.When I checked it out, you could hear a pin drop from the lack of people and interest. Also, at around $2000.00 for booth fees, I decided that I am not ready! Of cousre, the people making $15 beaded book marks were selling out. It is a wonderful (expensive) show and great to see, just not great for visual art I don't think.
    I am also disappointed with my level of posting. I have decided to read the 7 habits book again and see if it can help :)
    I checked out the link you sent (posting Nov. 18). I agree that nothing is original, and we all take a little from here or there. I still hope to find my "signature style" somehow.
    I enjoyed Cello Study and Knitter. You can draw and paint pretty much anything. Your people drawn from life are so "animated". Looking forward to seeing more vendor drawings.
    Ok, I guess I should stop writing and start painting :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts