Iris



6"X6" Oil in panel SOLD

It is very frustrating to spend a couple of hours struggling to get the blues and mauves right and then to be dissatisfied with the way they render on the computer. Violet does seem to be one of the hardest colours to reproduce.
This is a new format for me, I have wanted to try square for some time but I haven't found a local source for square panels. I ordered some from Karl Heerdt at Twelve Oaks Studio Supply as well as some more of the standard 5"X7" size which I have used before and like very much. They work out a bit expensive for me by the time you factor in extra shipping costs to get them over the border, but what else is new?
As I was painting this I was thinking about my inability to maintain a consistent style. Should I just give up worrying about it I wonder? I was hoping that this blog would help me find a style that I could be happy with but I really don't think I have it in me. I get bored doing the same sort of thing over and over. I know there are daily painters out there who have built a good business out of producing hundreds of paintings of fruit and vegetables or flowers or local landmarks. I can keep it up for a while and then I need to do something else. Today's painting was fun because the colour was so challenging, the landscapes are enjoyable but almost too easy. What I really enjoy the most is figure sketching so maybe I should try to do some serious portraits.
I bought a couple of very large canvasses yesterday, so I will see if I can think of something to use them for. It seems like such a commitment to embark on something that I will need to work on over several days, or even weeks, as I really can't paint much during the week.


Posted by Picasa

Comments

  1. A very nice composition and rendering! Regarding your question, should you give up worrying about a style, my take on it would be 'yes'. As I look through your art there is something about it that says it is all from one artist, suggesting your 'style' is already in place.

    As for subject matter, don't be held down; for years I was known only as a painter of flowers (although i painted many things) and it held me back a bit in some ways. Paint anything you want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the square format Sarah, just a thought can you do the panels yourself. You have done a great job, you find the richest of colours on flowers, they are very tricky to get right, do you use tube purples? About your style I wouldnt worry about it too much. Easier said than done I know. I think we all go through the same thoughts, you must trust your own instincts and paint or draw what YOU love to. Hope that helps:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your painting reproduced well. I know these things never show on the computer exactly as they actually are but they are close. I feel the same way about what I make. I tire of the same thing over and over. Sometimes I think it is pointless to try and be a landscape or portrait or realist or abstract painter. Maybe it's this way due to a lack of a real audience (for me, that is) but even then I thing I'd tire and want something different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank-you everyone for your comments, it is so nice to get feedback from talented individuals such as yourselves. In answer to a couple of questions: yes Sam, I probably could make the panels myself but whether I could do it economically and efficiently is another matter. And do I use tube purples? Not this time, although I do have a rather nice W&N "Mauve Blue Shade". This time I used W&N Ultramarine and Grumbacher "Thio Violet" which is closer to carmine than violet but mixes well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts