Freesia & Pussy-Willow




5"X7" Oil on board

Every once in a while I seem to need to torture myself with something like this. I think that I could practise every day for a decade and I still probably wouldn't get it right, but maybe I should try. I am referring of course to the juxtaposition and overlapping of reflection and shadow. Made all the more interesting by the fact that the shadow was completely absent, or rather the patch of sunlight was, after about the first five minutes.

Posted by Picasa

Comments

  1. I think it turned out fine. Sometimes the real way a shadow and reflection work go against how we think it ought to look. Often I think our eyes overlook the peculiar appearance but if caught by a painting we see how unusual it is. What I like is the abstract pattern this painting created on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it Sarah, you can see where the light is coming from and that table looks shiny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your painting enormously. I think you have it just about right, it certainly works for me, but reading your remarks I wonder whether the problems would not have been more easily solved using watercolour. (That is not meant a criticism, by the way.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all your comments. The abstract shapes of the composition caught my eye. It might well have been easier to do as a watercolour but I always like a challenge :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts