Wisley Gardens


10"X8" Gouache on coverstock



I was going to do my usual oil-on-Sunday but I had so much fun with the gouach last week that I though I would try using it for a landscape. While I was in England I visited Wisley Gardens with my sister. This is loosely based on some pictures I took while I was there.

It wasn't entirely successful, I spent about ten minutes more on it than I should have and it started to get overworked. Also I would have been better off using watercolour paper I think, so that I could have achieved better lost edge effects in the sky. Never mind it is all part of the learning curve and the advantage of using the old grey card is that it gives a better midpoint to judge the tones against. I you want to see what can be done with gouache, check out Nathan Fowkes blog he is a genius of the understatement.


Comments

  1. Hello Sarah
    This is a good representation of English weather.
    A lovely composition and very dramatic
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've captured this perfectly! Wisley was a regular haunt of mine for the many years I lived in Surrey (and had a big garden to tend!) Thank you for posting this...Ah, happy Days....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice painting Sarah. I enjoy that gray silvery light the neutral ground imparts to the landscape. It feels like a wet warm day in late winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all. I love it when you add your interpretation Stephen. You are almost always spot on which tells me I must be doing something right.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts