Cottage

7"X5.5" Pencil on paper


This rather derelict little shack is a rare sight for Niagara-on-the-Lake. With property values being what they are, this sort of thing is usually turned into a bijou residence or torn down to be replaced with a faux victorian mansion. I think that it may be either owned by the town or protected as an historical building (or both). It sits at the very corner of Lake Ontario and the Niagara River, I think is was the customs house when the ferry from Yougstown NY was still in operation.

Last Friday it was actually warm enough to sketch outside but I was challenged by the fact that I forgot my glasses (I am chronically long-sighted, so I could see my subject but not the sketchbook) and there was nowhere to sit. I really must practise sketching while standing more often because most of the best views don't actually sport a convenient sketching bench.

Posted by Picasa

Comments

  1. I like this blog and your sketches! Your self portrait is arresting. I'm really glad I found your site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice sketch Sarah. I looked on windows live local for the building but was unsure of exactly where it was. I agree about all the Victorian mansions that abound

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Barry. Stephen, I have geotagged it in Picassa http://picasaweb.google.com/splynch/SarahLynch if you are still interested.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts